Pages

Wednesday, March 25, 2015

GAMES I WANT TO PLAY!

 Here are a few games I'd love to spend time with someday soon:

CAESAR'S WAR - by Decision Games

The first game I'd like to play and one that I own but have never yet played is Caesar's War by Decision Games. The history and time period appeal to me since I consider myself an expert on Classical History - especially the military history of that period. The game is very easy to learn and play. It works as solitaire or against another player. The Roman player has a decided advantage but the card-driven event mechanism keeps the game relatively well balanced. It's a short game that can be played in a hour or less and it less than $20 and the size of a small magazine.

I think Power Play Games will have to develop some small, short, easy to play games along these lines in the near future!







JULIUS CAESAR - by Columbia Games

Next on my list of  "games I own but have never actually played" is Julius Caesar, by Columbia Games. This is a classic block wargame (like all Columbia Games) which introduces a real fog-of-war situation and is also card-driven. I have always liked the block design and find it intuitive and fun.  This one is a great game to use to introduce a beginner into the hobby.  But as I mentioned above, I love this period and from what I understand by the reviews it's a blast to play. It plays clean and easy and fast but gives the players loads of strategic options and choices. This is one I mean to take off the shelf very soon!





TIDE OF IRON  3rd Edition - by 1A Games

Moving into the 20th Century is another game that I am really hoping to be able to sink my teeth into. It's Tide of Iron by 1A Games. Unlike most of my games which lean heavily strategic, this one is a tactical simulation of World War 2 combat. I have Memoir 44  which is a more abstract game which can simulate a wide variety of scales and battles and is easy to play and teach others, but Tide of Iron is a bit more complex and far less abstract in it's handling of combat in the Second World War. I have no tactical combat games and this would be a great addition to my collection. Like Memoir 44 there are a significant number of expansions covering the Russian Front, Mediterranean Front, etc. The rules seem fairly straightforward and logical and of course, what boy - old or young - doesn't like playing with toy soldiers and tanks! ;-)






BOBBY LEE 3rd Edition - by Columbia Games

See, I told you I like block wargames!
This one is another from Columbia that I'd love to get my hands on. the American Civil War has always been appealing to me and to be able to command the forces of the South as General Lee is an opportunity I can't turn down. Columbia has a few other titles that I would also like to play as well but this one is next on my list!





STAR WARS ARMADA - by Fantasy Flight Games

I've been hooked on the Wizkids miniatures game covering the Star Trek universe, "Star Trek Attack Wing" lately and love it so much, how can I turn down this one?  Naturally, as a total sci-fi junkie since being a kid, commanding a squadron of Star Destroyers in battle against the weak and pathetic rebel Alliance is a dream come true! Looks like it's packed full of fun Star Wars goodness!!!




No comments:

Post a Comment